Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Two Years...

(and also, everyone needs some 'tation)

So, two years, one week, and one day ago, I was walking down the aisle and Zach was praying that I didn't change my mind and leave him stranded at the front of the church. At least, that's what he says :-) I never even thought about deserting him. No cold feet :-) The last two years have been absolutely the happiest, most adventure-filled, probably most challenging, and most rewarding years of our lives. My marriage advice (if two years gives you the right to give advice): marry someone that makes you better than you would be by yourself. I can safely say that the majority of what I've accomplished--personally and professionally--in the last two years would not have happened were it not for the amazing man by my side. So, here's to many more amazing years together!


The reason that my anniversary post is so late: our 'tation overlapped our anniversary and we ended up with an unexpected trip to Ohio to visit Zach's family. With Zach out of work for two weeks and my semester not yet begun, we had intended to spend a few days in PA with my family and then spend the remaining time here in the city hanging out. But, last Sunday morning, we decided on the spur of the moment to drive to Ohio and surprise Zach's family. And what a surprise it was :-) Only 2 people knew we were coming, and they kept it a secret until our arrival. Great fun. We ended up staying longer than we expected, because we were having far too much fun to leave. I don't think I fully appreciated the beauty of rolling corn and wheat fields until I moved to the city. I love the city, but there is something very refreshing about wide open spaces!

Our trip included a very special tour of the area where Zach's grandparents grew up and a stop at the graveyard where his 8th, 7th, and 6th generation grandfathers are buried. It was pretty cool for me to see the history in such a tangible form. We took a long bikeride one morning around the valleys and fields near his family's house. There was also lots of cookie baking and enjoying of homemade food.

The week ended back in PA with a somewhat scenic tour on the drive home (there was no map in the car, so we were going a little on faith of my recollections of roads, etc.). Thankfully, the nice weather made it an enjoyable detour.

We had the opportunity to drive to Lancaster with my Mom for some errands, and on the way, stopped at an Amish bakery for some fresh donuts. I remember a lot of trip as a kid when we stopped at "Sadie's," and you always hoped that the trip would coincide with one of their donut baking days. Thankfully, this was one such day, and I got to enjoy a piece of my childhood. Mmmmmm, so tasty. There is nothing quite like Pennsylvania Dutch cooking--especially when it comes to sweets.

My brother recently bought a fixer upper duplex that the family has been working on to finish. Zach and I worked together to get the vinyl floor put into the kitchen on one side while we were home. It was a new challenge--drawing out a pattern on large sheets of paper, cutting it out on the vinyl, and hoping desperately that it fit the right way. It did :-) I was happy... my knees--not so much. I've decided that flooring is not the career choice for me.

One thing we definitely enjoyed in OH and PA--the cheap, fresh farm produce. I love summer dinners made up of all vegetables preferably fresh from the garden or a local garden. Corn on the cob, red tomatoes, green beens.... So good!

We came back to the city on Sunday to get a few days of down time in before school starts next weekend for me. Zach's sister is going to be visiting later this week as well. We found two new "friends" today (albeit inanimate objects) that will generate a lot of fun for us! See pictures below :-)

Us in Downtown Wooster, enjoying some 'tation

The gravestone of Zach's 8th Generation Grandpa, Edward Martin. The stone says that he was the first Martin to move to Ohio and defended the Whites against the Indians.

View from the graveyard

Zach with his grandparents

The barn Zach built by himself when he was 15 from a pile of raw logs

Old railroad in Jim Thorpe, part of our scenic detour

Beautiful valley in Jim Thorpe

My parents' house--looks pretty idylic with those flowers!

Our new friends--you can't really see, but they're folding bikes, so they fold all the way down to a little larger than the size of the two wheels placed side by side.

We rode all the way up the west side of the island from downtown to home--this is the Hudson River, riding through the Hudson River Park.

No comments: