Friday, August 22, 2008

New Adventures


The day finally arrived. My two years at Columbia Business School began last Sunday night, and since then, it has been a jam-packed week of new friends, new places, and lots of promise for what will come in the months ahead. We have had orientation activities all week, starting daily at 9 a.m. with the earliest evening ending at 8 p.m. Don't ask me about the latest night...

My 538 classmates are amazing, though I must confess I haven't met them all yet. Our class is divided into 65-people "clusters" with whom we take all our first semester courses. We are broken down further into 5- or 6-person learning teams that serve as the core unit for many of the group projects that will be assigned. The learning teams are carefully selected to include members from all different career and cultural backgrounds. My team consists of myself and four guys, one of whom is from Korea and one from Italy. So far, we have had a great experience, and I am excited about learning from all of them.

Next week, two of our classes begin and then the real semester begins the following week.

It is slowly sinking in that I really am here at Columbia, an internationally respected institution with outstanding faculty and students. I think I will learn more here during the next two years than during any other two-year period. I know that the last couple years and all their varied experiences have prepared me to take advantage of this opportunity, and I plan to do just that. I know there will be a lot of challenges, but I think this is a great place to experience them.

In short, I'm excited, and I can't wait to see what lies ahead.



Our Peer Advisors (2nd year students who guide the orientation process) line the stairs every morning and cheer us into the building. There is a lot of energy and enthusiasm here! (Sorry I don't have more pictures yet... I'll see what I can find from other people)

No comments: